Innovation and Intensity are the Only Constant for a Racing Franchise that Re-Invents Itself Year After Year
EA is proud to announce today that the Need for Speed franchise has surpassed 100M units sold life to date.* The newest release, Need for Speed SHIFT, pushes the franchise over the 100M mark, making it the best-selling racing brand in the gaming world. Need for Speed has become a driving force for innovation in the racing genre. Known for delivering unparalleled white-knuckle racing, creative customization and street style, the Need for Speed series has generated over $2.7B in life-to-date sales and has become a powerful pop culture phenomenon.
"Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100M units mark, so this is a huge honor. We have millions of fans to thank for driving us to this milestone," said Frank Gibeau, president, EA Games Label. "With the launch of Need for Speed SHIFT and the upcoming release of Need for Speed NITRO, we hope to continue to deliver the most entertaining, action-packed racing experiences."
Since the release of Need for Speed in 1994, the franchise has...
- Launched 15 blockbuster titles across more than 14 platforms
- Released in 22 languages in over 60 countries
- Players have raced over 279 billion miles of roads & race tracks
- Generated over 17 trillion user-generated vehicle customizations
- Featured actors, models & musicians including: Brooke Burke (Wild On), Christina Milian (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past), Emmanuelle Vaugier (Two and a Half Men), Josie Maran (Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and actress), Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III), Kanye West, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Prodigy
- Debuted exclusive remix from Snoop Dogg of The Door's classic song Riders on the Storm
- Sold more games than all new passenger cars sales in the U.S since 1994**
- If Need for Speed boxes were laid out end-to-end, it would span 173,609 football fields
- 100M units represents nearly every household in the United States and is 3x the population of Canada
This year, there are three titles being launched under the Need for Speed franchise. Need for Speed SHIFT delivers a true driver's experience and has been heralded by press worldwide for being the most exciting and polished Need for Speed game in years. SHIFT is available on the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, PC, and PlayStation Portable system. Shipping in November, Need for Speed NITRO has been developed specifically for the Wii and Nintendo DS to capture the fun and exhilaration of arcade racing at 200 MPH. Need for Speed World Online for the PC is the largest open world game in the history of Need for Speed, with an extensive roster of licensed cars and game modes - all for free online. The game follows the free to play business model which generates revenue through advertising and in-game item sales. World Online will begin the beta process in Taiwan this winter and will open to players around the world in fall 2010.
*According to internal EA data
**93.8 Million according to Bureau of Transportation Statistics