After scoring two goals in a losing effort in Istanbul, Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo followed that up five days later with two more against Athletic Bilbao in the club won the match 0-3. His two goals in Bilbao pushed him to 31 goals in La Liga on the season and his assist on the third goal brought him to seven on the year. While Real Madrid may not be able to retain the league title this year, they still would love to finish ahead of cross-town rivals Atletico who are only three points behind in third place.
After Borussia Dortmund dramatically-defeated Malaga earlier in the week, the side decided that last-place Greuther Furth needed to be further reminded of the fierce competition that existed in Germany. Dortmund easily defeated their hosts 1-6 but it was Mario Götze who played an important role. The German scored twice and assisted on another goal before half-time. Manager Jürgen Klopp would reward the young striker with some rest, taking him off during the intermission.
Michael Carrick’s name may not have been called out much this season for his offense but that changed over the weekend as he scored his first goal of the season. His goal within the first four minutes of the game proved to be the winner as Manchester United easily defeated Stoke City 0-2. The win momentarily increased their lead at the top of the Premier League table to 15 points with six games remaining. With their next two matches against lower-table clubs, the title seems to be firmly in their grasp.
This Week’s Team of the Week
Starting XI (Playing 3-4-3)
- GK – Steve Mandanda – Olympique de Marseille (France)
- LB – Benoît Trémoulinas – Girondins de Bordeaux (France)
- CB – Jérôme Boateng – Bayern München (Germany)
- RB – John O’Shea – Sunderland (England)
- LM – Mario Götze – Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
- CM – İlkay Gündoğan – Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
- CM – Michael Carrick – Manchester United (England)
- RM – Thiago – FC Barcelona (Spain)
- ST – Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrid (Spain)
- ST – Luis Muriel – Udinese (Italy)
- ST – Mauricio Pinilla – Cagliari (Italy)
- GK – Alex McCarthy – Reading (England)
- CB – Darío Verón– U.N.A.M. (Mexico)
- CM – Valerón – RC Deportivo (Spain)
- CM – Kim Bo Kyung – Cardiff City (England)
- CM – Christopher Forrester – St. Patrick’s Athletic (Ireland)
- ST – Dino Kresinger – Western Sydney Wanderers (Australia)
- ST – Javier Orozco – Cruz Azul (Mexico)
Check out the full TOTW (here)
The Team of the Week is available to play against each and every week in FIFA Ultimate Team. TOTW items are available by chance when opening FIFA Ultimate Team Packs.