With smaller group sizes in Africa, every match holds even more importance. Thankfully, Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o was on target, scoring both of the team's goals in their third qualifying match at home against Togo. The win moved Cameroon into first place in the group, holding onto a slim one-point lead over second-place Libya.
Even with a 1-1 draw in Bolivia on Tuesday, Argentina sit comfortably atop the CONMEBOL qualifying table with 24 points after 11 games. Last Friday, Real Madrid’s Gonzalo Higuaín scored two goals as the Argentinians easily took care of visiting Venezuela. With those two goals, Higuaín leads all scorers in South America with nine goals, one better than teammate Lionel Messi.
Only a complete breakdown would prevent Germany from qualifying for next year’s tournament in Brazil. So much so, that Coach Joachim Löw even decided to rest midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger for Tuesday’s 4-1 over Kazakhstan in Nuremberg. In the first match of the back-to-back meeting with the Kazaks, Schweinsteiger was in completely control of the middle of the pitch, getting an assist on the first goal of the match.
This Week’s Team of the Week:
Starting XI (playing 3-4-3)
- GK – Hugo Lloris – Tottenham Hotspur (England) – France
- LB – Leighton Baines – Everton (England) – England
- CB – Simon Kjær – VfL Wolfsburg (Germany) – Denmark
- RB – Daryl Janmaat – Feyenoord (Holland) – Holland
- LM – Gylfi Sigurðsson – Tottenham Hotspur (England) – Iceland
- CM – Mathieu Valbuena – Olympique de Marseille (France) – France
- CM – Bastian Schweinsteiger – Bayern München (Germany) – Germany
- RM – Jefferson Farfán – FC Schalke 04 (Germany) – Peru
- ST – Gonzalo Higuaín – Real Madrid CF (Spain) – Argentina
- ST – Samuel Eto’o – Anzhi Makhachkala (Russia) – Cameroon
- ST – Jonathan Pitroipa – Stade Rennais (France) – Burkina Faso
- GK – Stipe Pletikosa – FC Rostov (Russia) – Croatia
- CB – Vilmos Vanczák – FC Sion (Switzerland) – Hungary
- CM – Michele Polverino – Wolfsberger AC (Austria) – Liechtenstein
- CM – Jesé Rodríguez – Real Madrid Castilla (Spain) – Spain
- CM – Aleksandar Tonev – Lech Poznań (Poland) – Bulgaria
- ST – Eden Ben Basat – Toulouse FC (France) – Israel
- ST – Teemu Pukki – FC Schalke 04 (Germany) – Finland
The Team of the Week is available to play against each and every week in FIFA Ultimate Team. TOTW items are available by chance when opening FIFA Ultimate Team Packs.